deltacloud-dev mailing list archives

From Michal Fojtik ...@mifo.sk>
Subject Re: Launching into a VPC with the EC2 driver
Date Fri, 10 Aug 2012 07:36:21 GMT
On Aug 9, 2012, at 12:23 AM, David Lutterkort <lutter@redhat.com> wrote:

> The assumption is that users will set up VPC's and subnets outside of
> DC. Once they have subnets, they will show up as realms with the EC2
> driver. IOW, GET /realms will not only list availability zones like
> us-east-1a, but also subnets in those AZ's, i.e. realms that will be
> named something like us-east-1c:subnet-deadbeef; when launching an
> instance into such a realm, the create_instance call will pass the
> subnetID to AWS' RunInstances, rather than an AZ.

Sounds good to me. The problem could be advertising these realms, because
we will need issue extra calls to backend to fetch VPC stuff and append
it to realms list.

Same for instances, to attach a 'realm' to instance we would need to query
VPC, that can slow down instances listing.

These two are the only drawbacks I can think of. They can be eventually resolved
by tweaking 'aws' gem to get more informations about instances.

> any objections to this ?

No objections, if we can re-use this schema for FGCP driver or some other
drivers (VSphere ?) that would be fantastic.

 -- Michal