deltacloud-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Molina <dmol...@opennebula.org>
Subject Re: Poor performance with open nebula driver
Date Wed, 11 Jul 2012 17:27:08 GMT
Hi Marios and Christian,

Thanks for testing and debugging the OpenNebula driver.

On 11 July 2012 15:51, marios@redhat.com <mandreou@redhat.com> wrote:
> On 11/07/12 15:52, marios@redhat.com wrote:
>> Hi - I just applied Daniel's patch from this thread (its on list now for
>> approval). After fixing a minor typo it solved an issue we saw in
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DTACLOUD-257 (errors getting a
>> list of instances).
>>
>> I have two questions though:
>>
>> 1. Is there a way to determine the version of ON you are talking to? If
>> I understand correctly, this patch brings us to ON 3.6 compatibility?
>> This is what David Lutterkort was trying to gage - is it possible to
>> determine the version and if so is it worth trying to 'fall back' to ON
>> 3.x? Or are you happy with just requiring users to always be on latest
>> version?

Currently, there is no way to determine the OCCI server version, but
we are including it in OpenNebula 3.8. The verbose mode is supported
in OpenNebula 3.4 and 3.6, so I think it is a fair requirement to use
OpenNebula >= 3.4.

>> 2. In  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DTACLOUD-257, the reporter
>> (in cc here) mentions something I also noticed about the Machine states.
>> You can only 'destroy' a machine when it is running. At first I thought
>> this was an error - looking at the defined state machine in the
>> opennebula driver:
>>

>> 143   define_instance_states do$
>> 144     start.to(:pending)          .on( :create )$
>> 145     pending.to(:running)        .automatically$
>> 146     stopped.to(:running)        .on( :start )$
>> 147     running.to(:running)        .on( :reboot )$
>> 148     running.to(:stopping)       .on( :stop )$
>> 149     stopping.to(:stopped)       .automatically$
>> 150     running.to(:stopping)       .on( :destroy )$
>> 151     stopping.to(:finish)        .automatically$
>> 152   end$
>>
>> Are these states correct? Look at lines 148, 150 for example.
>>
>> After checking
>> http://opennebula.org/documentation:archives:rel3.0:vm_guide_2 it seems
>> that 'destroy only when running' is intended behaviour. Can you please
>> confirm that?
>>
>> Thanks again for your support,
>>
>> marios
>>

> just to add to this issue on states... is it true that there is no
> longer a notion of 'restart'/'reboot' for a running machine... i.e. as
> described in
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DTACLOUD-257?focusedCommentId=13411504&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-13411504

The documentation you linked in the previous mail is for OpenNebula
3.0. In OpenNebula 3.6 this is the life cycle of a Virtual Machine:
http://opennebula.org/documentation:rel3.6:vm_guide_2#virtual_machine_life-cycle

And these are the available actions from OCCI, (the diagram is missing
DONE from any state):
http://opennebula.org/documentation:rel3.6:occidd#compute

As you can see the actions available through OCCI are limited but you
can 'destroy' a VM from any state and reboot a running VM. The error
is in the state machine in the opennebula driver. This is the state
machine that we use in the server:
https://github.com/OpenNebula/one/blob/one-3.4/src/cloud/occi/lib/VirtualMachineOCCI.rb#L67

I will try to send you an updated state machine tomorrow

BTW, in the patch regarding the verbose param for pools, It should be
also included for instance_type (hardware profiles) requests

If you have further questions do not hesitate to ask me anything.

Cheers

--
Daniel Molina
Project Engineer