deltacloud-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Davis <...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: DeltaCloud API and CIMI
Date Thu, 03 May 2012 16:58:29 GMT
<de-lurking>  https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/cimi
</de-lurking>

Just FYI.

thanks
-Doug
(919) 254-6905  |  IBM 444-6905  |  dug@us.ibm.com

Carlos Gonçalves <mail@cgoncalves.info>
05/03/2012 12:32 PM
Please respond to
dev@deltacloud.apache.org

cc

Subject
Re: DeltaCloud API and CIMI

Hi Dies,

I did not mean the API between IaaS providers and DeltaCloud because I
don't see providers such as Amazon EC2 supporting CIMI at least in the
sort run, but the API DeltaCloud users use to communicate with DeltaCloud
abstracting themselves from each IaaS provider own API.

If CIMI gets really spread I guess some IaaS software projects,
open-source mainly, will start supporting CIMI, either as their only
available API or as an secondary API. For instance, there is a working
group adding OCCI support on OpenStack[1]. While some providers may opt to
offer a standard cloud API (OCCI or CIMI) to their services, others just
won't because that would somehow mean easing interoperability with
competitor cloud vendors, giving up of their vendor lock-in strategy and
hence loosing money - that's my point of view :-)

So, no, I don't see DeltaCloud getting obsolete, ever (?).

Hope I've answered all your questions. If not, please let me know and I'll
rephrase.

Thanks,
Carlos Goncalves

[1] http://occi-wg.org/2012/02/14/occi-in-openstack/

On 3 May 2012, at 14:14, Koper, Dies wrote:

> Hi Carlos,
>
> I wonder how many cloud providers will support the CIMI API.
> If all DMTF members will support it, wouldn't that render DC obsolete?
> If few DMTF members will actually support it, what is the real benefit
to users for DC to be CIMI -only?

> Are you assuming it will take a long time for the members to release
their respective CIMI implementations (as it took them a long time to
publish the standard) and DC's objective should be to bridge that period?

> Regards,
> Dies Koper

I've