deltacloud-dev mailing list archives

From "marios@redhat.com" <mandr...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Why does stop terminate a ec2 instance?
Date Fri, 17 Feb 2012 14:58:09 GMT
Hi Georg,

you're right - for ec2 and specifically EBS back instances (if I
remember it the right way around) you should be able to restart the
stopped ones. Right now this is not implemented for the Deltacloud EC2
driver - though it is definitely something we have discussed before and
something which we will be implementing at some point.

For other drivers and more generally speaking, starting of stopped
instances is supported only when this is a feature of the backend cloud
- clearly since deltacloud is just a 'broker' and a stateless one at
that. Each of the drivers in 'deltacloud/server/lib/deltacloud/drivers/'
defines the instance 'lifecycle' in a structure called 'instance_states'
(something like a state machine). This is exposed through deltacloud @
/api/instance_states.

If this is something you are interested in then keep an eye here or open
a JIRA ticket (deltacloud.org/contact) as a feature request for the EC2
driver. All and any code contributions are of course very welcome if you
have the time and inclination :)

marios