deltacloud-dev mailing list archives

From "marios@redhat.com" <mandr...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Scope of API definitions
Date Mon, 21 Feb 2011 20:25:40 GMT
Hi Sang-Min,

On 21/02/11 22:04, Sang-Min Park wrote:
> found that there’re functions that are not listed on Deltacloud API (
> http://incubator.apache.org/deltacloud/api.html) For example, they are
> ‘keys’, ‘buckets/blobs’, ‘load balancer’, ‘storage volume’, etc.

yes, you're right, that could do with some updating (this is on the
current 'todo' list together with updating our official api spec)

> Should they be considered core APIs like the ones documented on the API
> page? Is there a guideline on the API coverage for a new driver
> implementation (like implementing some APIs is mandatory and the others are
> optional) ? If some functions could not be supported (like load balancer),
> is there a well-defined way to tell the framework that the functions are not
> supported?

yes they are part of the core API, however we don't have a 'well
defined' way for developers to decide what to implement. A general rule
is that a provider driver will implement 'what they can' - for instance,
the storage api (buckets/blobs) is only available for ec2, rackspace and
azure drivers. Each provider driver includes the appropriate collections
in the driver definition (and only these are presented to a client at
the /api toplevel entry point).

One thing you can do is fire up the core server
(/path/to/source/deltacloud/server/bin/deltacloudd -i mock [or -i ec2])
and open a browser to 'http://localhost:3001/api/docs' to see
documentation for collections (buckets, images etc) and what operations
you can perform on these.

Sorry to have missed you on irc, the core developers are usually around
earlier in the day but we are around, so please keep asking there as
well as this list,

all the best, marios