deltacloud-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: Dynamic selection of driver
Date Fri, 12 Nov 2010 17:07:40 GMT

On Nov 12, 2010, at 11:44 AM, Toby Crawley wrote:

> On 11/12/2010 10:54 AM, Jim Jagielski wrote:
>>
>> On Nov 12, 2010, at 10:42 AM, Toby Crawley wrote:
>>> Yes, ssl is not the only solution, but adds end to end security over the entire
request, without adding complexity to the deltacloud code. I don't see a deltacloud service
getting enough traffic to justify worrying about ssl overhead, and I would be more worried
about someone extracting my cloud credentials, or munging the actual request itself than altering
the driver or endpoint headers.

>> So it's either "trust nothing" or "trust everything"? :) Methinks that there's
>> a middle ground somewhere in there *grin*
>>

> Sure, there is a middle ground. My point is that if someone has the ability to munge
my headers, then they have access to my cloud credentials, which is a much larger problem
IMO.

Agreed. But that is hardly something totally unique in the HTTP
space. My point is that if http headers will be used for control,
then unless we have some sort of checks on them, then *only*
ssl will be an option to enable some sort of trust value
associated with that.

Is that a long-term, viable condition?