db-torque-user mailing list archives

From Thomas Fox <thomas....@seitenbau.com>
Subject Re: 3.3.1 to 4.0 migration
Date Thu, 02 Jul 2015 01:03:21 GMT
Helge Weissig wrote:

> I forgot about the HTML filter this group uses… pardon the crappy formatting.
> Here is a text-only version:
>
> Our code base is heavily invested in some of the functionality removed from torque 4.0

> and I was wondering if any one had some advice on a migration path:
>
>	1. We make extensive use of village records obtained via
>          BasePeer.doSelect(Criteria), for example.
>          Those results could probably be considered a view of the data
>          and I am wondering if that would be the correct/recommended/best approach.

If you are using this to read data only, have a look at the RecordMapper functionality. A
record mapper maps DB Columns to an object. You can use different record mappers for the same
table (e.g. it can be passed in through SomePeer.doSelect(Criteria, RecordMapper<TT>),
so have different object representations. For a generic village-record-like representation,
see org.apache.torque.om.mapper.ObjectListMapper (personally I do not like this representation,
put perhaps it serves your needs). Views (now supported !) are also a more db-centric option.

>	2. We have added our own caching implementation
>          (configurable via the schema definition) to the Object.vm
>          and Peer.vm templates. I have read through the new generator documentation
>          and the customization part of the OR Mapping Reference
>          (https://db.apache.org/torque/torque-4.0/documentation/orm-reference/customizing-generation.html)
>          but I don’t seem to be able to find the relevant information
>          to put it all together. Basically, I would like to override one or more templates.
>          I think I know how to specify that in an outlet, but do I also need the control
configuration
>          in the conf directory? The maven plugin (we use maven) has configuration parameters

>          for overrideConfigDir and overrideConfigPackage… do I need to set those?

Have you checked the code-gen tutorial (http://db.apache.org/torque/torque-4.0/documentation/tutorial/orm/index.html)
for a basic understanding ?
Also, there is an example in the torque test project (https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/db/torque/torque4/trunk/torque-test/src/main/torque-gen)
which basically does what you want, i.e. overrides the Peer template (adding @SuppressWarnings
annotations). The torque generation config which invokes this can be found in https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/db/torque/torque4/trunk/torque-test/pom.xml
lines 183ff.
To be more specific:
Yes, you need at least an empty control configuration.
You need to set either overrideConfigDir or overrideConfigPackage, depending whether the additional
templates can be found in the file sytsem or in the classpath.
Please ask again if you cannot get it working. Although more complicated :-(, the new generator
is much more extensible than the old one. In the current trunk, you can even use groovy templates
:-)

>	3. This is more of a maven question, maybe, alas I have the feeling
>          it isn’t actually possible to implement through it, but is there a way
>          to skip the code generation steps if the schema sources have not changed?

Sorry, this is not any more possible. The problem is to reliably find out whether the file
has changed (e.g. some OS do not change the change date of a file when it is copied). I have
seen more than one situation where schema changes did not get picked up because of this option,
so my personal recommendation is not to rely on such a mechanism. Also, mvn generate is typically
not executed often while developing, so long generation times should not slow down development
too much.
However, if you still want to use it, you can patch the Mojo class in the Torque maven plugin,
this should not be too difficult (please share if you choose to do it).

>	4. I know how to configure logging for the generator, but the switch between loglevel
>          WARN and INFO is quite severe. Is there a way to log at INFO level but only
to a file,
>          not to the console? We use log4j throughout our project.

Yes, check the log4j configuration documentation. Basically you need to override the log4j
configuration file and use two appenders, one file appender and one console appender, with
different log levels. The log4j configuration needs to be in the classpath /org/apache/torque/generator/log4j.properties
and it must have a higher classpath priority than the torque-generator.jar (I am currently
not sure how to achieve this using maven, the last resort is patching the generator)

Good luck!

   Thomas