db-torque-user mailing list archives

From Thomas Fox <thomas....@seitenbau.com>
Subject Re: generate enum from db at runtime
Date Wed, 08 Oct 2014 12:36:12 GMT
Hi Youngho,

currently it is not possible to generate enums. This would be an interesting feature in my
opinion.
It needs to be seen whether this requires a schema change.

I'm not sure what you mean by "generated at runtime".

What I currently do when I need an enum is to define "internal" methods which take and return
strings and on top of that hand-written methods which take and return the enum. It looks something
like:

in the schema:
<column name="role" type="VARCHAR" javaName="roleInternal" />

in the data object (assuming Role is an enum):
public void setRole(Role role)
{
  super.setRoleInternal(Role.toString());
}

public Role getRole()
{
  return Role.valueOf(super.getRoleInternal());
}

// only for torque's internal use
@Deprecated
@Override
public String getRoleInternal()
{
  return super.getRoleInternal();
}

// only for torque's internal use
@Deprecated
@Override
public void setRoleInternal(String role)
{
  super.setRoleInternal(role);
}

    Thomas