db-torque-user mailing list archives

From Thomas Fischer <fisc...@seitenbau.net>
Subject RE: Revisited: Oracle and the empty string
Date Fri, 01 Oct 2010 19:47:54 GMT
> just a question about a "best-practice". We are trying to implement an
> XML-to-DB-mapper service on Oracle. The (existing) XSD defines some
> fields which distinguish between "not set" (null) and "empty" (""). How
> do others handle this in Oracle? Especially within Torque?

In my experience, it is no problem if you keep that fact in mind. It just
makes the code non-portable to another database (you only query for not
null and know it's also not empty in oracle, but not dor other databases).
Is it a problem for yaou if "" and null get mapped to the same value ?

an aside: Others (empire-db in the incubator) have tried to make this
portable by always mapping "" to null for all databases, but I do not think
this is a good idea either. No ideal solution of this problem is known to
me.

    Thomas