db-torque-user mailing list archives

From Greg Monroe <mon...@dukece.com>
Subject FW: Torque and SQL 2005
Date Mon, 02 Feb 2009 21:33:10 GMT
I'm forwarding this to the torque-user@db.apache.org<mailto:torque-user@db.apache.org>
mailing list where problem discussion should be held.

From: mjdevlugt@firstcommand.com [mailto:mjdevlugt@firstcommand.com]
Sent: Friday, January 30, 2009 12:48 PM
To: Greg Monroe
Subject: RE: Torque and SQL 2005

I need to find out how to fix the optimistic blocking issues with Torque and SQL2005 - are
their any configuration settings that can be fixed whether its SQL 2005 or Torque that we
can change those settings for selects to run without escalated blocking (and the issue with
"Implicit On" for selects?

I'm a .NET/SQL DBA so it's hard for me to see how to fix "Implicit On" when the transaction
stays open for 30-40 minutes per connection and they say that Torque is where that setting
is maintained within code and we are using app pools so we have to restart app/sql daily.
It looks like it's a SQL2005 issue because of all the blocking, but I think it's a Torque/code/config/driver
issue and the "it's your fault not mine" is happening instead of "lets get this working".
 Microsoft just states the vendor has to fix their code and use the latest Microsoft JDBC
driver - they are using the 1.2.4 version = maybe that is the issue too.  Using torque, maybe
I should use the JTDS driver?  Any suggestions would be helpful.  The app is setup to scan
a lot of records with dynamic SQL so SQL is escalating locks to an exclusive table lock with
each process so it limits the number of people that can use the app.  I max about 15 people
and I need to get it usable for 400!  They have about 800 tables in their database.  The inserts/Updates
are so quick that most of those transactions don't even show up in the SQL traces, so it's
just the Selects that I am having issues with.

Well, Thanks again for responding and sending any information that will help me if you are
able to.

Have a great weekend.

Mary Myers-DeVlugt, MCDBA2008, MCITP2008, MCTS

SQL Database Analyst/DBA
First Command Financial Services, Inc., parent of
First Command Financial Planning, Inc.
1 FirstComm Plaza, Fort Worth, TX 76109-4999
(817) 569-2043 (office)   (817) 569-2690 (fax)
(817)  903-5198 (cell)     (817) 577-4694 (home)
mjdevlugt@firstcommand.com<mailto:mjdevlugt@firstcommand.com>
www.firstcommand.com<http://www.firstcommand.com>