db-torque-user mailing list archives

From Greg Monroe <mon...@dukece.com>
Subject RE: newbie question about postgres: nextval
Date Mon, 26 Jan 2009 18:19:29 GMT
FYI - Schema docs are under the Generator tab.  As to the
Torque vs Hibernate, I agree with what Thomas said and would
add the following:

Hibernate is supported and "marketed" by Redhat/JBoss (a
great deal initially, but now it's a community thing). In
addition, they designed it on better "buzz words". E.g., it's
Enterprise Middle-ware designed to let programmers implement
business logic that is supported be a variety of back-end
including full blown EJB application environments (like JBoss).

By contrast, IMHO, Torque is designed as a RAD tool focused
on making JDBC simple for programmers.  So they can get on
with writing business logic and not worry about many of the
fiddly persistence details. Not only that but it is designed
to help make long term maintenance easier.  For example: by
using complier constants to help identify column name changes;
A single XML schema file that can be updated as tables change
and re-generate the access objects; and the like.

DukeCE Privacy Statement:
strictly prohibited.