db-torque-user mailing list archives

From Ivano Luberti <lube...@archicoop.it>
Subject Re: newbie question about postgres: nextval
Date Tue, 27 Jan 2009 09:22:49 GMT
Thank you Greg I have found the docs on schema files.
For what it worths, I will put my 2 cents on the Torque vs Hibernate matter.
Usually you don't want to overwrite your sql if you are not in the early
steps of db development: you change the DDL saving the data in some way.
The utility of software like torque is greater when you are in an
advanced stage of development and it saves a loto of time in modifying
java code.
Then, given your answer about the limitations of the jdbc task, I think
that the absence of some visual tool that is able to produce this schema
files is something  that prevents Torque to be more successful.
For example if Power Architect would be able to generate both the schema
file and not only the sql it would be great.

Greg Monroe ha scritto:
> FYI - Schema docs are under the Generator tab.  As to the
> Torque vs Hibernate, I agree with what Thomas said and would
> add the following:
>
> Hibernate is supported and "marketed" by Redhat/JBoss (a
> great deal initially, but now it's a community thing). In
> addition, they designed it on better "buzz words". E.g., it's
> Enterprise Middle-ware designed to let programmers implement
> business logic that is supported be a variety of back-end
> including full blown EJB application environments (like JBoss).
>
> By contrast, IMHO, Torque is designed as a RAD tool focused
> on making JDBC simple for programmers.  So they can get on
> with writing business logic and not worry about many of the
> fiddly persistence details. Not only that but it is designed
> to help make long term maintenance easier.  For example: by
> using complier constants to help identify column name changes;
> A single XML schema file that can be updated as tables change
> and re-generate the access objects; and the like.

Archimede Informatica NEWS!

Realizzato il Sistema Integrato per la biglietteria della Torre di Pisa:
prenotazione, vendita, pre-vendita ed emissione dei biglietti di ingresso
alla Torre sia online che presso le biglietterie dislocate sulla piazza:

_http://www.opapisa.it/boxoffice

_Partner del Progetto Ci-Tel "Front office Telematico per il cittadino"
Ente Coordinatore Comune di Pisa

_http://www.comune.pisa.it/doc/e-government.htm

dott. Ivano Mario Luberti
Sede Operativa