db-torque-user mailing list archives

From Greg Monroe <mon...@dukece.com>
Subject RE: Unsigned integers
Date Mon, 01 Dec 2008 17:22:16 GMT
The UNSIGNED type is not in the DTD because it is not part
of any SQL Standard.  The SQL standard for this type of data
is to use one of the following column types:  BIT, BINARY, or
VARBINARY column type (with possible CHAR and DECIMAL options).

Unfortunately, it looks like Village doesn't properly support
BIT (it assumes a 1 byte Boolean.. need to fix this now that
we have control of Village...).  And BINARY and VARBINARY
are mapped to BLOBS which aren't very efficient.

That said, the best bet would be to manually define the column
type to be an UNSIGNED INTEGER in the DB and then use BIGINT
as the type in the schema.  This will make the Record object
use the long type and avoid having large binary int values
become negative.

As to ensuring the proper values get placed into this, you can
either depend on JDBC or SQL to throw an exception if the value
is too large (e.g. a negative number of type long SHOULD be
considered as too many bits). Or you can just add some checks
to the set<Column>(long) method in the stub.

Hope this makes sense..