db-torque-user mailing list archives

From Greg Monroe <mon...@dukece.com>
Subject RE: SQL Server 2005 - varchar(max)
Date Fri, 14 Nov 2008 17:14:08 GMT
First, just a general Torque design principal review... Torque
tries to let you create code that is independent of the type
of SQL server you are using (while remaining flexible enough
to let you access specific server features.  When it comes to
things like basic column type support, we follow the SQL
standards as to what Torque supports.  So, if the standard
defines an NVARCHAR column type, then we will try to support
it across all servers we support.

That said, there are actually two parts to this request, using
these type of columns in the runtime and generating the SQL
statements to create the tables.

In the runtime area, I'm pretty sure we already support these
columns.  If your schema XML says VARCHAR, then the Torque code is
using String at the storage type with is Unicode compliant. Torque
and Village ultimate set and store these fields via JDBC calls, like
getString(column), and the like.  The JDBC driver should handle the
conversion of the information returned by the SQL server to the
correct Java value.  So, an NVARCHAR column with Unicode will be
mapped directly to a Unicode String with no problems.

As to generating SQL with NVarchar column, as I said above, if this
is  part of the standard, we'll add a column type to the schema.

However, if you have a need to do this, it's not hard to create
your own generator Platform implementation that uses NVARCHAR
when you specify VARCHAR in the XML.

Hope makes sense.  If not feel free to ask for clarification.

DukeCE Privacy Statement:
strictly prohibited.