db-torque-user mailing list archives

From "Richard Walker" <walkerricha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Village meta data calls (Was: Will migrating from 3.0 to 3.3 help me?)
Date Fri, 03 Oct 2008 01:44:52 GMT
On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 1:54 AM, Greg Monroe <Greg.Monroe@dukece.com> wrote:

> If we don't want to lose this functionality, we still need to do some
> checking as to what the underlying column type is.  I'm thinking that
> this information should get added to the ColumnMap object and the
> initialization routines changed to make the call to get the Meta
> data.  This would cache the meta data, cut the meta data requests to
> just a few, and still maintain the underlying Village flexibility.

When using the old PG driver there are a small number
of DB queries to get type name information for the built-in
PG types - and the results are cached.
In the newer driver the cache is initialized with type
names for these built-in types, so the handful of type name
queries I was seeing in the old driver are completely gone when
using the newer driver.

So I didn't need to comment out the calls that get column type
name information as these were not causing my "problem".
See my previous message for the two lines that were
generating all the extra DB queries.