db-torque-user mailing list archives

From Alvaro Coronel <alvarocorone...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: ORA-01461 on update to VARCHAR2(3000)
Date Wed, 08 Oct 2008 18:48:22 GMT
Does it matter? Dunno * 4!

I once saw a call like this somewhere

          Locale.setDefault(Locale.ENGLISH);

but I would bet it's politically incorrect.

Best regards,
Álvaro.

--- On Wed, 10/8/08, Brendan Miller <bmiller@dotster.com> wrote:
From: Brendan Miller <bmiller@dotster.com>
Subject: Re: ORA-01461 on update to VARCHAR2(3000)
To: "Apache Torque Users List" <torque-user@db.apache.org>, alvarocoronel67@yahoo.com
Date: Wednesday, October 8, 2008, 3:05 PM

Good point.  I ran the query for curiosity, and we are using UTF8.  So
this *could* happen.  But in the case of this data, the string is 1200
or so bytes of regular ASCII-7 (printable) data.

So I fear something else is at work.

Also, how does one "configure his client" (Torque) accordingly to be
UTF8 aware?  Or does it matter?  Or does it matter?  Or does it matter?
Or does it matter?

Brendan

On Wed, Oct 08, 2008 at 09:43:10AM -0700, Alvaro Coronel wrote:
> The problem can be the character set. You may be sending 3000 characters
and the DB will store 9000 bytes.

> Check Oracle's character set:
>
> SELECT VALUE FROM v$nls_parameters WHERE PARAMETER =
'NLS_CHARACTERSET';

http://oraclenotepad.blogspot.com/2007/05/ora-01461-can-bind-long-value-only-for.html

> but I _have_ seen trouble w/Oracle.

Torque/Village