db-torque-user mailing list archives

From Alvaro Coronel <alvarocorone...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: ORA-01461 on update to VARCHAR2(3000)
Date Wed, 08 Oct 2008 16:43:10 GMT
The problem can be the character set. You may be sending 3000 characters and the DB will store
9000 bytes.

Check Oracle's character set:

SELECT VALUE FROM v$nls_parameters WHERE PARAMETER = 'NLS_CHARACTERSET';

then configure your client accordingly.

Sincerely,
Álvaro

P.S. No I don't know this. Just googled ORA-01461 and found this post (spanish)

http://oraclenotepad.blogspot.com/2007/05/ora-01461-can-bind-long-value-only-for.html

but I _have_ seen trouble w/Oracle.

--- On Wed, 10/8/08, Brendan Miller <bmiller@dotster.com> wrote:
From: Brendan Miller <bmiller@dotster.com>
Subject: ORA-01461 on update to VARCHAR2(3000)
To: torque-user@db.apache.org
Date: Wednesday, October 8, 2008, 1:13 PM

We have an existing table we have newly wrapped with a Torque object
model by adding it to our schema.  It has three VARCHAR2(3000) fields
which we have modeled as

 <column name="CERT_STRING" size="3000"
type="VARCHAR"/>

When performing an update to an object fetched from this table, we
receive:

ORA-01461: can bind a LONG value only for insert into a LONG column

It looks like this comes from Village somewhere (I can provide the stack
trace, if you'd like).  This is Oracle 9i.

I tried using LONGVARCHAR, but it maps to the same .setString in
Village's Value class.  I really couldn't tell where Torque/Village
could be messing up, so maybe this is an Oracle thing.

Has anyone ran into this kind of problem before?

Brendan