db-torque-user mailing list archives

From "Richard Walker" <walkerricha...@gmail.com>
Subject Will migrating from 3.0 to 3.3 help me?
Date Tue, 30 Sep 2008 03:15:40 GMT
Hi, I am just starting maintenance work on a project
built with Torque 3.0 on top of PostgreSQL.
I'm considering migrating to 3.3 but thought I would
check a couple of things here first.

The first thing I noticed was the huge difference in performance
using different versions of JDBC drivers.  Older versions
(e.g., pg74.216.jdbc3.jar) work well; newer ones (e.g.,
one I tried for PostgreSQL 8.2, postgresql-8.2-506.jdbc3.jar) don't.
The difference is staggering - a set of queries that takes 10 seconds
with an old driver takes over 90 seconds with a newer
driver.

I ran a trace on the code and found out what's going on - the Column
class in the village library does lots of requests on metadata.
In the old JDBC driver, these calls are not implemented;
in the newer drivers, they are, and there are now
12 - yes, twelve! - extra database queries being generated
for each original query.

I notice a Sybase user has already reported this at:
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TORQUE-36

Question 1: is this now addressed in 3.3 or in SVN?

Question 2: if yes, how do I go about migrating?
In my case, the previous developers made substantial
modifications to 36 of the generated Java files.
Please tell me there's a better way than copy/paste
the changes into the new generated files.