db-torque-user mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: Does derby support still work?
Date Mon, 25 Aug 2008 10:15:28 GMT
Thomas Vandahl wrote:

> Graham Leggett wrote:
>> ij> CREATE TABLE active ( active_id INTEGER NOT NULL, serial VARCHAR NOT
>> NULL, name VARCHAR NOT NULL, description VARCHAR NOT NULL, signature_id
>> INTEGER NOT NULL, PRIMARY KEY(active_id), UNIQUE (serial));
>> ERROR 42X01: Syntax error: Encountered "NOT" at line 1, column 66.
>
> I'm not exactly a Derby expert but in this case "serial" seems to be
> responsible.

Column 66 and the error message both point at the word "NOT", rather
than the word serial.

Some further digging over the weekend shows that Derby may not support
the VARCHAR type properly (it seems to need to be VARCHAR(limit), not
VARCHAR).

Is it Torque's responsibility to decide on the VARCHAR type, or is the
choice of type left to the end user?

Regards,
Graham