db-torque-user mailing list archives

From Alvaro Coronel <alvarocorone...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Log4J + Torque ... gonna drive me mad.
Date Thu, 31 Jul 2008 17:17:07 GMT
This deserves to be easily accessible as an entry in Torque's web page.

I wonder how many fellow torque users are putting up with non-configured log4j babble. They
would all love to know this. I know I do.

By the way thank you very much everyone involved for clarifying this so much.

Sincerely,
Álvaro

--- On Thu, 7/31/08, Thomas Fischer <fischer@seitenbau.net> wrote:
From: Thomas Fischer <fischer@seitenbau.net>
Subject: Re: Log4J + Torque ... gonna drive me mad.
To: "Apache Torque Users List" <torque-user@db.apache.org>
Date: Thursday, July 31, 2008, 1:24 PM

> I just added this to log4j.properties :
>
> log4j.category.rootCategory = ALL, org.apache.torque
> log4j.category.org.apache.commons = ALL, org.apache.torque
>
> THIS IS WORKING !
>
> But it still think that's a Torque/commons-logging bug, whih is not
> correctly handling Log4j config.

I have a different opinion about this. Torque does neither initialize
log4j nor commons-logging. It is up to the user to do this. If you don't
initialize logging, the standard configuration is used. This is the
intended behaviour.

Unfortunately for you, the standard configuration for commons-logging is
to use log4j if it is in the classpath, and the standard configuration for
log4j is to complain if it is not initialized. There is nothing Torque can
do about this.

I'm not an expert in log4j, but it seems that if you can add something to
your log4j.properties which makes log4j work as you want to, then the
previous log4j was wrong, and now you got it right.

     Thomas