db-torque-user mailing list archives

From Thomas Fischer <fisc...@seitenbau.net>
Subject Re: oracle connection pool issue
Date Mon, 21 Apr 2008 14:39:49 GMT
>It turned out that there were a couple of other hidden connections
>being made in the loop and making those also use the one connection
>did the trick.

This is certainly a good solution.

>That said, I am wondering why the connection pool is not replenished
>or at least not fast enough so. Is there a setting that would change
>that?

I am not sure what you mean by that. There is no setting like "magically
manage connection pool". The pool has no possibility of knowing which
connection is still needed and which can be reclaimed, except when a object
is garbage-collected, and this is usually too late.
There are three possibilities that you can run out of connections:

Torque should close() every connection it opens, which returns them
immediately to the db connection pool. If there is an issue there (none is
known to me), the pool will leak connections. This is improbable.

If you open connections yourself, you are responsible for closing them. Not
doing so results in a leakage of db connections out of the pool.

If too many connections are opened before the first one is closed, this
results in running out of connections. Perhaps this may happen if you have
a deeply nested object tree, but I am not sure.

If you are still interested in digging into this further, you need to find
out which of the three possibilities applies in your case, by monitoring
the number of connections in the connection pool.

    Thomas