db-torque-user mailing list archives

From "Greg Monroe" <Greg.Mon...@DukeCE.com>
Subject RE: Column names with spaces
Date Fri, 11 Apr 2008 13:15:55 GMT
OK, short version:  If you can't change the existing
schema, use a view to get valid names.

Longer version:

Actually, the "[" syntax is not the only one that can be
used with MS SQL. It also supports the SQL Standard
defined delimited identifiers.  In the standard, normal
identifiers (e.g. column/table names) have the same
rules as Java/C variables. (with the exception that
they are case insensitive...)

If you want/need to use characters outside of this set,
you need to use delimited identifiers.  These have the
Standard defined syntax of "My Table!" (double quote's
included). Delimited identifiers ARE case sensitive.
So, the standards version id of a column in your table
would be written like: "Time after".time_col

AFAIK, this syntax is pretty widely supported by the
major DB players.

As Thomas F said, getting Torque to recognize and map
the Java names to the real names is going to be a
hard thing.

One thing that *might* work out of the box is the
various ant tasks.  If you define your names in the
XML to include the double quotes, the SQL generated
by these should work.

To be complete, I guess you could also try to generate
the code with the delimited cases and then "fix up" the
classes that don't compile.  You'd also have to make sure
the Map classes used the correct strings as well.  Not
very maintainable but...

If
> I try to make a Criteria, Torque quits this selection with
>
> Malformed column name in Criteria getTableName: 'T_Stammdaten.Time
> after' is not of the form 'table.column'
>
> Okay, actually this is an error that doesn't have something to do with
> the real problem. Is there a way to setup a database specific syntax
> for column names. So in MySQL it would be "`" or in MSSQL/Sybase it
> would be "[" and "]".
>
> Additionally - I think the "torque" task that generates the classes
> should escape the spaces if it uses the database column names to
> generate column constants (currently it produces
>
> public static String TIME AFTER = "...".
>
> Has somebody an idea, how to get around this problem?
>

> Bye
> Thoralf
DukeCE Privacy Statement:
strictly prohibited.