db-torque-user mailing list archives

From "Greg Monroe" <Greg.Mon...@DukeCE.com>
Subject RE: XML Entities in Table Names
Date Tue, 04 Mar 2008 15:53:09 GMT
The basic problem here is that in order for Torque to
produce code and tables across the many Database server
it does, it has to adhere fairly closely to the SQL
standards.

The standards define that "regular identifiers" (e.g.
column and table names) must consist of basically the
same characters as a Java variable name and the XML
identifier rules. So, the Torque limits these
identifiers to this set. This means that the tables
and columns in the XML schema definitions will be
creatable in all the DB servers supported by Torque.

So, this error is saying telling you that the table or
column name is not truly cross DB server compatible. If
you want a DB schema design that is able to be use on
any DB, use a different name.

That said, if you don't want true cross DB names, you
MIGHT be able to get a little wiggle room in names by
using hex identifiers in the XML E.g. &X##; for SOME
of the characters.  This may get around the XML parser
limits.  You'll probably need to make sure you have
javaname attributes set in the XML to make the code work.

FWIW, there is a part of the standard that allows for
delimited identifiers. E.g., "Non#Standard#char".
However, Torque currently does not support these. In
addition, different DB server types have variations
on this that make cross DB table names of this sort
problematic.

DukeCE Privacy Statement:
strictly prohibited.