db-torque-user mailing list archives

From "Brendan Miller" <bmil...@dotster.com>
Subject Re: Torque/Village issues selects without bind variables on MyPeer.doDelete(criteria)?
Date Tue, 25 Sep 2007 23:46:06 GMT
Thomas Fischer wrote:

> >Anyone have any ideas on how to delete the row/object without incurring
> >this SELECT without bind variables query?
>
> Knowing this is the worst statement for a OR layer: If it is just this
> single table, I'd recommend using pure jdbc for creating a prepared
> statement and issuing the delete.
> Torque is a bit bitchy when it has not got any primary keys on tables...

Ok.  It is just a single table, so this may indeed be the smartest plan
at this rate to get Oracle (or our DBA) happy.

Thomas Vandahl wrote:
> > If there's still a better way, I'd love to hear about it.
> There is BasePeer.deleteAll() which bypasses Village when deleting
> records. However, you will need to have a single column which has a
> single value (IOW: a primary key) for this to work.

I will look into this as an alternative--thanks.

> > Does Torque/Village always do a SELECT first before it DELETEs?
> Unfortunately yes. This is a Village feature.

VillageFeature-- nice.  Academically, does anyone know why this is a
good idea?

Thanks guys.

Brendan
(still a Torque-lover after all these years)