db-torque-user mailing list archives

From Eustache <eustache.fel...@idilia.com>
Subject Re: exception thrown because DB connection not correctly reinited after db server restart
Date Wed, 10 Jan 2007 17:18:25 GMT
Same time ! i was meaning the former, ie just closing the browser, and I
am happy with the pool reuse of connection, and the trick of testing the
connection before using it seems to do the job - so everything is fine
Thanks

Greg Monroe wrote:

>The quick fix is to add the following lines to your
>init properties:
>
>torque.dsfactory.web_test_suite.pool.testOnBorrow=true
>torque.dsfactory.web_test_suite.pool.validationQuery=SELECT 1
>
>This will cause the common-dbcp code to verify that any
>pooled connection is still valid before passing it to Torque.
>Adds the overhead of a single quick DB query each time a
>connection is retrieved but it's a small price to pay to make
>Apps independent of DB restarts.
>
>As to the cause... when you say "close the app", do you
>mean just exist the browser pages or actually stop the
>webapp on TomCat via the manager/html app?
>
>If it's the former, then the webapp / Torque is still active
>and has pooled connections still open.  These pooled
>connections are a big performance gain since getting a TCP
>connection to an SQL server is time consuming.  But this
>means that your apps don't behave like the (slower) "open a
>connection for each page/statement" ones that are common.
>
>If it's the latter, then do you have the Torque lib (and
>support ones) in your common\lib directory and use it
>across multiple web-apps? Then the reason is that in this
>situation there is only one pool for all web-apps.
>Restarting a single webapp will not restart the pool. You
>have to restart Tomcat (or explicitly shutdown and re-init
>Torque but that can be problematic...).

communication or may otherwise be privileged or confidential and are intended solely for the
individual or entity to whom they are addressed.  If you are not the intended recipient you
may not rely on the contents of this email or any attachments, and we ask that you  please
not read, copy or retransmit this communication, but reply to the sender and destroy the email,
its contents, and all copies thereof immediately.  Any unauthorized dissemination, distribution
or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.