db-torque-user mailing list archives

From "Parthasarathy Thandavarayan" <Parthasarathy.Thandavara...@sos.sungard.com>
Subject escapeText method in DBOracle
Date Tue, 03 Oct 2006 10:47:06 GMT
Hi all,

I have a question regarding the escapeText method in org.apache.torque.adapter.DBOracle class.
Unlike the DBMSSQL, DBSybase class this method in DBOracle returns a false. However, oracle
does require escape characters for interpreting certain special characters like "_" literally.

Below is a copy of the source code in DBOracle.
    /**
     * This method is for the SqlExpression.quoteAndEscape rules.  The rule is,
     * any string in a SqlExpression with a BACKSLASH will either be changed to
     * "\\" or left as "\".  SapDB does not need the escape character.
     *
     * @return false.
     */
    public boolean escapeText()
    {
        return false;
    }

The usecase I am trying out is one where a column in the table queried has values 'abc' and
   'a_c'. I need to query the record that has the column value as 'a_c'. If I issue a query
without escapecharacters (where <column> like 'a_%' ) both the rows are returned. I
need to  provide a where clause with the condition as <column> like 'a\_%' to get the
correct record (also need to add ESCAPE keyword to the query). However, because escapeText
returns false, the criteria value gets built wrongly in the buildLike method of SQLExpression
class.. (the method returns 'a\%'). If escapeText returns true this problem will be solved
(ESCAPE keyword addition needs to be tackled also).

Thanks,
Sarathy

PS: information regarding escape characters in Oracle http://www.dba-oracle.com/tips_oracle_escape_characters.htm