db-torque-user mailing list archives

From "Greg Monroe" <Greg.Mon...@DukeCE.com>
Subject RE: javaName ignored?
Date Wed, 18 Oct 2006 18:02:30 GMT
I see that this problem occurs in the the peer
object's static column names.  This is not effected
by the javaName attribute which is used in creating
the column getter/setter methods.

The problem is that Torque currently only support
non-delimited column names.  I.e., column names
that use the SQL92 (and up) identifier characters
which matches the Java identifier rules.  So,
delimited column names, like "@Description" can
break the compiler rules.

Unfortunately, I don't think there is a quick fix for
this.  The column names are used extensively in a lot
of Templates for both Peer identifiers and as values
for strings that identify the SQL name.  If the
Column.getName() method was modified to "normalize"
the name, then the references to the actual column
name would be broken.

Also, there may be problems with the underlying
queries being generated.  Torque will not add the
delimiters to column names which could cause some
jdbc Drivers and/or DB servers to not understand them.
E.g. The query:

Select * from xxx where xxx.@Description = 'xxx'

should be:

Select * from xxx where "xxx.@Description" = 'xxx'

to be valid SQL syntax.  Torque will generate the
former.

Maybe a quick fix is to create a view with more
standard names and use this with Torque?

If someone has a time to burn, I guess the correct
fix would be to add a getPeerName method to the
Column model that "normalizes" the name.  Then find
all the applicable entries in the templates and use
this method instead of the getName.

I think then you might be able to use delimited
names in the XML (e.g. <column name="\"@Desc\"" to
generate valid XML like:

Select * from xxx where xxx."@Description" = 'xxx'

Duke CE Privacy Statement