db-torque-user mailing list archives

From "Greg Monroe" <Greg.Mon...@DukeCE.com>
Subject RE: SharedPoolDataSourceFactory problem
Date Mon, 28 Aug 2006 14:52:05 GMT
Hmm, works fine for me with jTDS and MS SQL 7.0.  I just
stopped and started my SQL development service (remote
machine from Tomcat development environment) and had no
problems.  (I am using 3.2.1-dev but I don't think any
changes have been made in this area...)

The applicable settings in my Torque.properties are:

### MSSQL with jTDS
torque.database.default.adapter=mssql
torque.dsfactory.default.connection.driver =
net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.Driver
torque.dsfactory.default.connection.url =
jdbc:jtds:sqlserver://XX.dukece.com:1433/XX;TDS=7.0
torque.dsfactory.default.connection.user =  XX
torque.dsfactory.default.connection.password =XX

# # Using commons-dbcp
torque.dsfactory.default.factory=
  org.apache.torque.dsfactory.SharedPoolDataSourceFactory
torque.dsfactory.default.pool.maxIdle=8
torque.dsfactory.default.pool.maxActive=10
torque.dsfactory.default.pool.testOnBorrow=true
torque.dsfactory.default.pool.validationQuery=SELECT 1

> Andras Balogh said:
>
> Hello Greg,
>
>     We are using MS-SQL but the query is not the problem. This query
> "SELECT 1" is never called, is is not reaching the
> SQL Server (we see this with the Profiler started)
>     What happens is that upon Torque.init these 2 properties:
>
> torque.dsfactory.bookstore.pool.testOnBorrow=true
> torque.dsfactory.bookstore.pool.validationQuery=SELECT 1
>
> are not correctly passed to the underlying connection pool,
> in this case:
> org.apache.commons.dbcp.datasources.SharedPoolDataSource
>
>    Can anybody confirm that he has successful validation and
> fail over in case of a DB restart
> with Torque3.2 with any DB? Strange is that with Torque 3.1
> it was working.
>
>    So I'm looking for a workaround to somehow get my hands on
> the Datasource object
> (org.apache.commons.dbcp.datasources.SharedPoolDataSource)
> and set these properties
> by hand.
>

> Thanks for any help.
>
> Best regards,
> Andras
>

> Greg Monroe wrote:
> > What DB server are you using?  It sounds like this server
> > simply does not support a "SELECT 1" query statement.
> > Try this from your DB isql, mysql, whatever script tool.
> >
> > If this is the case, then you'll need to figure out a
> > table-less query to replace the "SELECT 1" or a slightly
> > less efficient / generic, select from a table that will
> > return something (might need to be a 1).

Duke CE Privacy Statement