db-torque-user mailing list archives

From Robert Enyedi <robert.eny...@intland.com>
Subject Evaluating the Torque Generator
Date Thu, 03 Aug 2006 14:02:34 GMT

We are evaluating the Torque Generator for using it in our product. We
have heard many good words about the Torque project and we would like to
become faithful users and maybe even contributors :-)

Currently we use a MySQL 4 database in the back-end. We would like to
also be able to use the Derby and Oracle database engines. For this the
critical part is to have our current MySQL schema transformed into the
Torque XML DB schema.

Using the torque-jdbc-transform Ant task, I have tried to extract the
Torque XML DB schema from our existing database. While generally
correct, the result had some things missing though:
- the ENGINE=MyISAM option is present for some of our tables. Is there
something equivalent in Torque?
- the FOREIGN KEY REFERENCE ON DELETE SET NULL sequence is completely
- the UNIQUE and ON DELETE CASCADE clauses are discarded,
- information on INDEXES is discarded,
- information on AUTO INCREMENT fields is discarded.

Could these be due to the limited database meta-information provided by

 From the generated schema I generated back the MySQL schema and saw
some type mapping inconsistencies:
- INTEGER was generated as MEDIUMINT (I found this to be a but fixed in
the 3.2.1 development branch),
- DATE was generated as DATETIME,
- DATETIME was generated as TIMESTAMP (this is correct, though starting
with MySQL 4),
- BLOB becomes LONG BLOB,
- BINARY NOT NULL becomes only NOT NULL (this is bad when storing case
sensitive strings, like path names),

Did someone encounter these issues? Do you have solutions to them?

Manual editing of the XML DB schema is an option, but can all these
constraints be represented in the Torque XML DB schema?