db-torque-user mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: Is Maven really necessary?
Date Wed, 24 May 2006 11:36:17 GMT
Matthias Klein wrote:

> Currently I am writing a small web application using Torque as OM.
> However, I find it rather cumbersome to heavily depend on Maven only for
> the Torque part (the rest is dutifully carried out by the tools provided
> by Eclipse)
>
> Is there no way to somehow perform this task (at least the compilation
> task) without maven?

 From experience, there is never such a thing as a "small application",
only "an application that hasn't had the chance to get big yet".

Also, by building the app solo, you are far less likely to reuse that
app's code elsewhere, as it's too much of a pain to set up the
dependencies. If you can, stick with maven for the build. Relying purely
on an IDE to build something means that if someone else needs to
maintain your code, they need to use your IDE, not the one they are most
efficient with.

Regards,
Graham