db-torque-user mailing list archives

From "Greg Monroe" <Greg.Mon...@DukeCE.com>
Subject RE: using unknown number of databases having the same "structure"
Date Thu, 20 Apr 2006 17:53:35 GMT
First, a warning about re-initializing Torque on the fly.
You need to remember that your web application might be
in use by more than one person.  You need to take this
into account in your code to insure nobody has their
DB setting redone by someone else.

That said, most of Torque's main methods have versions
that take an SQL connection object as a parameter.  If
you write your code to use these methods, you can use
these methods on any matching DB.

Note that you will have to do your own management of
these connections, e.g. opening, closing, pooling,
transaction handling, and the like.

Also not that some of the Torque methods (like getting
foreign key linked records) open connections interally
using the matching schema dbname JDBC info.  These will
not work with on the fly DB selection.

One possible thing to look at is using Torque's
getConnection( dbName ) method to let Torque's DBFactory
manage your connection pool. The main issue here might be
figuring out how to add a new DB on the fly.  Looking at
TorqueInstance.initDataSourceFactories( Configuration ),
it seems like you could override Torque and TorqueInstance
to be able to add DataSourceFactories on the fly.

Duke CE Privacy Statement