db-torque-user mailing list archives

From Helge Weissig <hel...@grajagan.org>
Subject Re: using a second database
Date Thu, 13 Apr 2006 17:08:37 GMT
On Apr 13, 2006, at 9:33 AM, Greg Monroe wrote:

> I don't believe you can get this sort of logic to work. Here's
> why:
>
> The "database" name in Torque actually refers to Torque's object
> space "database" and not any physical SQL Server database.  The
> Torque db name is defined in your schema xml (name attribute on
> Database tag).  This name is used as a key to tie a lot of
> information together.

Thanks for the reply, Greg! Much appreciated!

I may have not been very clear on the setup I have. Basically, I
generate all Torque objects for the mysql database only and use the
second one with straight SQL and BasePeer.executeQuery(sql, dbName)
or BasePeer.executeStatement(sql, connection). I am not trying to use
Table1Peer for both databases.

But when I do

String initSql = "select cdcaux.ctenvinit('user.tablespace') from dual";
BasePeer.executeQuery(initSql, "oracle");

the query is done in my mysql database, not the oracle one.

[snip]
> That said, here's what I do to deal with this situation.  I treat
> configuration information as being totally separate from application
> code.  It's for configuration after all and so any code updates
> should not change it.  So, while I may have a sample config file
> checked into the repository, I never have a real configuration
> property checked in.
>
> In my code, I initialize Torque by searching the class path for
> the configuration file.  E.g.:
>
> URL url = this.getClass().getClassLoader().getResource(
>                                      getDbParameterFileName());
> // Note:  Don't use new URI(url.toString())
> // - Tomcat will not resolve this!.
> String path = url.getPath();
> if ( path != null && ! path.startsWith("/")) {
>     path = "/"+path;
> }
> URI uri = new URI(url.getProtocol(),"",path,null);
> return new File(uri);
>
> This lets me have different configuration files for various
> situations, like for junit testing under Eclipse, a development
> server using MySQL, and multiple production servers using
> different DB's but all using the same code.

This is very useful for having multiple configurations. Thanks!!

cheers,
h.