db-torque-user mailing list archives

From Christopher Fitch <domin...@midsouth.rr.com>
Subject Question about New Oracle Driver and Blobs
Date Wed, 05 Apr 2006 20:15:53 GMT
Hello all,
	I have been looking at how the newer Oracle 10g JDBC driver interacts
with Torque 3.2 and Village. I'm aware of the past issues with regards
to Oracle and their incomplete Blob support in their older JDBC drivers
as well as the village patch to support it.

First things first...I'm assuming this is the correct place to address
this? It's not clear to me if Village issues can be discussed here and
then we report issues or what? If this is wrong then I apologize in
advance and where do I go or who do I contact about this?

Moving on, in the Oracle 10g driver, they claim to fully support JDBC
3.0 Blob methods. Given this I have been attempting to test if this is
true and apparently it is with one exception.

Please note in advance that this might be a village issue (or maybe not).

So far in my testing I have found that I can use the stock Oracle
10.2.0.1.0 JDBC driver and the village 2.0 jar included with Torque 3.2
and successfully insert, select, and update blobs.

However, when executing a simple select on a table where the blob column
might have a null value, I get a NullPointerException in this part of
Value.java:

         case Types.BLOB:
             Blob blob = rs.getBlob(columnNumber);
             valueObject = blob.getBytes(1, (int) blob.length());
             break;

The valueObject assignment fails with an NPE since the blob variable is
null. This makes since because in my test, the blob column in the table
is null. Is this behavior correct?

So what am I missing or is this something that could be changed in
Village and thus allow for standard oracle support if using the Oracle
10g driver?

Thanks in advance!

--

Christopher Fitch - dominatr@midsouth.rr.com