db-torque-user mailing list archives

From Thomas Fischer <tfisc...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Torque and iBATIS
Date Sun, 16 Apr 2006 17:31:29 GMT

On Sun, 16 Apr 2006, Tomáš Procházka wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I have two questions.
>
> For what is Torque better and for what iBATIS?

I'm not an iBATIS user, but from a brief glance, Torque needs minimal
preparation to get a working database model. The database objects, sql
scripts, data accessors are all generated. In contrast to that, iBATIS
seems to force you to write your own SQL for everything you do. This is
cumbersome for simple statements, but very powerful for complicated sql.
So my personal advice would be : If you use simple SQL, use Torque, if you
use complicated and involved SQL, use iBATIS.
It is also a matter of personal taste in the end.

> Why Apache has two similar projects?

There is no Master Plan of open source software in general or at the ASF.
There are even two other ORM projects at the ASF, cayenne (in incubation)
and OJB.

> And why Torque use this:
> xercesImpl-2.6.2.jar
> xml-apis-2.0.2.jar
>
> I this need in Java 1.5? A try delete it and all works.

Torque's runtime runs on java 1.3, 1.4 and 1.5, and the generator runs
on 1.4 and 1.5. To achieve this downward compatibilty, some libraries are
included which may not be needed in java 1.5. I have never tried to find
out the minimal set of libraries needed to run torque in 1.5, so no idea
whether these special libraries are needed or not in 1.5. As long as you
do not get a ClassDefNotFoundError, you're fine.

    Thomas