db-torque-user mailing list archives

From "Liu, Richard" <Richard....@boeing.com>
Subject RE: A few general questions of Torque 3.2
Date Wed, 08 Feb 2006 15:59:27 GMT
Hi, Dave:

  Thanks a lot for your answer.

  In your answer, you said that "Torque can reverse-engineer a database
and create the corresponding schema file, from which it can then
generate the Java source code necessary to use the database within a
Java program."

  Do you have a step guide in terms of how could I really do what you
said above?  or please tell me where can I find an example of the above
?

Thanks

Richard Liu

-----Original Message-----
From: Dave Newton [mailto:newton@pingsite.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 07, 2006 5:37 PM
To: Apache Torque Users List
Subject: Re: A few general questions of Torque 3.2

Liu, Richard wrote:

> Am I right?

Short answer: no.

> 1)   Given an XML Schema in an XSD file (or DTD
> file), generate a database schema that represents the XML Schema
> defined in the XSD

The schema is defined in an XML file.

XSD and DTD are ways of defining what a valid XML file looks like.
> 2)   Generate source code that can parse XML
> documents and insert (update and delete) the data into the generated
> database schema

No; Torque takes the schema as defined in an XML file and creates
classes that map data in the database to Java objects.
> 1)   Generate source code that can extract data
> stored in the database schema and create an XML file that conforms to
> the XML schema defined in the XSD

I'm not even sure what you mean by this; to me it sounds like the same
thing in #3 belo
> 2)   Generate queries to extract data from the
> database and create an XML document that conforms to the XML Schema
> defined in the XSD file

Briefly: Torque uses an XML file to define database tables and the
relationships between them. From this Torque generates Java source code
to map data in the database to Java objects. This is what ORM
(Object-Relational Mapping) means.
> 3)  Generate xml files which correspondent to the relational database
> schema

Torque can reverse-engineer a database and create the corresponding
schema file, from which it can then generate the Java source code
necessary to use the database within a Java program.

Dave