db-torque-user mailing list archives

From Trey Long <james_l...@provima.com>
Subject CamelCase, Object Population and Relational Selects
Date Tue, 06 Dec 2005 22:12:08 GMT
Once again I am appealing to the Torque mailing list for advice on
decisions coming up in my web enabled Java application. I want to just
post these few questions as they have come up when we are brainstorming
some of the issues.

Application: mssql > torque > pojo > axis > xml > coldfusion

Question 1: Is there a way to maintain the CamelCase of the tables
inside of the torque classes? ex: If I have a table named accountTypes I
get classes such as AccounttypesBase, AccounttypesPeer and Accounttypes.
Is it possible to get proper casing out of Torque like AccountTypesBase?

If this isn't currently an option in Torque where could I start my
research in order to add that bit of functionality. Hopefully the
problem, if it is a problem, isn't as systemic as I think it could be.

Question 2: We are considering integrating with Torque and the object
model it creates more tightly. Currently we don't use the generated
classes much at all besides querying the database then pulling the
information out of the objects and translating it into something more
usable from a java perspective. One of the considerations that was
brought up was how Torque returns related tables. I believe if two
tables are related it returns them much like a result set in SQL in that
there is redundant information in every row due to the join. Is there a
way to easily get the objects in a more variable based format via helper
classes or some Torque features?

example:
say there is a OM class called Account that relates to Company in the
database. Is there a way to get an Account object with a List of Company
instead of a List of Account each one containing a Company object.

What we are trying to avoid is having Axis pump a ton of redundant
Account information across the wire.

Question 3: I see that there is a way to join against related tables,
and also a way to join against all related tables except a certain one.
Perhaps it's a gross oversight on my behalf but is there a way to join
against ALL relationships?

Thanks for any information or advice on what you have done with your
applications of Torque. I greatly value the opinions of those more
learned that myself. -James