db-torque-user mailing list archives

From "Greg Monroe" <Greg.Mon...@DukeCE.com>
Subject RE: performance
Date Thu, 03 Nov 2005 15:02:33 GMT
> From: Robert Kromkamp
> I've got the feeling Torque is al little bit slower than
> straightforward queries on the database. Are there some way's
> the improve the performance of torque? By example, use caching?

In general, there is no denying that an abstract layer will always
be slower than a native layer.  Code written in Assembler language
will always be faster than Java. But why do you use Java instead
of Assembler? The same reasons that people give for developing in
Java apply to using Torque over native JDBC. You can develop,
debug, modify, maintain it faster, better, and cheaper.  Remember,
the cost of developer time can quickly outweigh the cost of more
hardware in today's economics.

That said, there are some internals that make Torque perform better.
IMHO, number one is using pooled connections. One of the most time
consuming JDBC operation is opening a connection to the SQL server.
Pooling eliminates this by caching open connections and letting code
share them.  I've seen actual major performance gain by converting
a native JDBC app that did individual connections to Torque.

There are also internal tweaks that may or may not help such as
the torque.objectIsCaching property that controls whether data
objects cache foreign keys or not.  I think there are a couple more
but am not sure.

IMHO, it's REALLY hard to cache at the DB interface level because
you don't have any application context.  Its really easy to have
a caching scheme that speeds up one type of application but slows
down another.  Personally, I favor caching the information at the
object level in the application.  For example, cache fairly
static, commonly used web application information in the session.
Or something that is used repeatedly in processing requests, in
the request object.  Because this is application context specific,
it tends to be more efficient.

Well, enough soap-boxing.. hopefully this helps or at least
raises more specific questions we can deal with.

Greg

Duke CE Privacy Statement