db-torque-user mailing list archives

From Jim Caserta <smoothie...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: Torque not closing database connections
Date Sat, 01 Oct 2005 12:51:06 GMT
Thomas,

Is using the Shutdown also recommended as follows?

try
        {
            db = Torque.getConnection(DATABASE_NAME);
                 }
        finally
        {
            Torque.closeConnection(db);
            Torque.shutdown() <<============
        }

Jim

--- Thomas Fischer <fischer@seitenbau.net> wrote:

> [...]
>
> Connection connection = Torque.getConnection()
> // do something with connection
> connection.close();
>
> because if an exception is happening before you call
> close, the connection
> will not be closed.
>
> You need to do something like the following to be on
> the safe side (I left
> out various catch blocks in order to show the
> principle)
>
> Connection connection = null;
> try
> {
>   connection = Torque.getConnection();
>   // do something with connection
> }
> finally
> {
>   if (connection != null)
>   {
>     connection.close();
>     connection = null;
>   }
> }
>
> If nothing helps, you need to write a log file when
> you open a connection
> and when you close the connection and find out where
> this happens. This is
> best done by subclassing the pool you use.
>
>      Thomas
>

> "Sandeep Bghavatula" <sbhagavatula@comframe.com>
> schrieb am 30.09.2005
> 22:18:42:
>
> > We use torque3.0 with turbine in our web
> application. The database
> > is mysql. Torque does'nt seem to be closing the
> database
> > connections. We end up with 50-60 connections in a
> couple of days
> > and have to restart the tomcat instance every 3
> days to keep mysql
> > from throwing up and saying thats it!! In my code,
> I do a
> > connection.close() wherever I have a
> Torque.getConnection(). There
> > is nothing in the database logs. Here is my
> torque.properties file.
> > Please help!!!
> >
> > #

> > # $Id: Torque.properties,v 1.1 2005/08/25 17:51:16
> jriley Exp $
> > #
> > # This is the configuration file for Torque.
> > #
> > # Note that strings containing "," (comma)
> characters must backslash
> > # escape the comma (i.e. '\,')
> > #
> > #

> > # NOTE NO torque. prefix on properties - this is a
> kluge to make it
> > also include the TR.properties
> >
> > torque.applicationRoot=.
> >
> > #

> > #
> > #  L O G G I N G
> > #
> > #

> > # We use Log4J for all Torque logging and we embed
> the log4j
> > # properties within our application configuration.
> > #

> > # THIS SEEMS TO BE IGNORED - HENCE IT IS

log4j.appender.org.apache.file=${applicationRoot}/logs/log

log4j.appender.org.apache.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout

log4j.appender.org.apache.layout.conversionPattern=%d
> [%t] %-5p %c - %m%n
> > log4j.appender.org.apache.append=false
> >
> > log4j.category.org.apache.torque=INFO,
> org.apache.torque

log4j.appender.org.apache.torque=org.apache.log4j.FileAppender

log4j.appender.org.apache.torque.file=${torque.applicationRoot}/logs/log.txt

log4j.appender.org.apache.torque.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout

log4j.appender.org.apache.torque.layout.conversionPattern=%d
> [%t] %
> > -5p %c - %m%n
> > log4j.appender.org.apache.torque.append=false
> > #

> > #
> > #  T O R Q U E  P R O P E R T I E S
> > #
> > #

> > # These are your database settings. Look in the
> > # org.apache.pool.* packages for more information.
> > #
> > # The parameters to connect to the default
> database.  You MUST
> > # configure these properly.
> > #

> > torque.database.default=default
> > ###torque.database.default.adapter=hypersonic
> > torque.database.default.adapter = mysql
> > ### torque.database.default.adapter=oracle
> > ### torque.database.default.adapter=mssql
> >
> > ##
> > ## Using torque's old pool
> > ##
> > #torque.dsfactory.default.connection.driver =
> org.hsqldb.jdbcDriver
> > #torque.dsfactory.default.connection.url =
> jdbc:hsqldb:${webappRoot}
> > /WEB-INF/db/jetspeed
> > #torque.dsfactory.default.connection.user = sa
> > #torque.dsfactory.default.connection.password =

torque.dsfactory.default.factory=org.apache.torque.dsfactory.
> > TorqueDataSourceFactory
> > # The number of database connections to cache per
> ConnectionPool
> > instance (specified per database)
> >
> torque.dsfactory.default.pool.defaultMaxConnections
> = 10
> > torque.dsfactory.default.pool.maxExpiryTime = 3600
> >
> torque.dsfactory.default.pool.connectionWaitTimeout
> = 10
> >
> > ### MySQL
> > #torque.dsfactory.default.connection.driver =
> org.gjt.mm.mysql.Driver
> > torque.dsfactory.default.connection.driver =
> com.mysql.jdbc.Driver
> > torque.dsfactory.default.connection.url =
> jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/*****
> > torque.dsfactory.default.connection.user = *****
> > torque.dsfactory.default.connection.password =
> *****
> >

> > # The interval (in milliseconds) between which the
> PoolBrokerService
=== message truncated ===