db-torque-user mailing list archives

From "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <...@intermeta.de>
Subject Re: Village Fork (was: Re: Torque + Oracle 9i + DATE columns losing
Date Mon, 15 Aug 2005 15:05:53 GMT
Thomas Fischer <tfischer@apache.org> writes:

>Henning,

>it is really nice of you to offer that. My own _PERSONAL_ feelings about
>it are as follows:
>The biggest problem which I have with village is the oracle lob stuff. I
>am using Saravanna Kannan's version of villag with oracle, which works
>fine if one just uses oracle, but does not work with other databases. My
>feeling is that creating a version which supports both oracle lobs and
>other databases is too much work considering that we want to chuck out
>village anyway.

My main point would be that we could offer _stable_ versions of
Village and fix bugs that pop up (there are a few out there).

I don't want to develop the Village code any further. But making it
possible for people to replace their village-2.0-20030825 jars with
village-2.1.jar or village-2.2.jar would IMHO give a bit more
confidence into using Torque (which at least for 3.2 will still be
based on village).

Patches that are "database xxx only" can IMHO always be changed to
work with all databases. That's why I'd like people to send patches to
me.

	Regards
		Henning

		      4 - 8 - 15 - 16 - 23 - 42