db-torque-user mailing list archives

From "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <...@intermeta.de>
Subject Village Fork (was: Re: Torque + Oracle 9i + DATE columns losing time SOLUTION)
Date Sun, 07 Aug 2005 11:08:31 GMT
Thomas Fischer <tfischer@apache.org> writes:

>On Thu, 4 Aug 2005, Robert Dietrick wrote:

>> The only remaining question now is: why on earth does Torque query the
>> database meta data before inserting when the OR mapping provides all the
>> information the system needs about the database?
>>

>This is one of the problems associated with the usage of the village
>library. Not being one of the orignial authors of Torque, it seems that
>using this library has sped up the development of Torque quite a lot in
>the beginning, but now it is limitating Torque in quite a few places. It
>might happen that at some point, the village library is thrown out of
>Torque, but village is linked deeply into Torque, so this will be a lot of
>work and is also likely to cause some trouble.

Just a quick opinion poll between our users:

As Village is a constant source of pain and those that are currently
using the 3.1 branch of Torque and probably also the 3.2 release will
be stuck on Village:

Any interest from you if I just whip up a small "branched Village"
site outside of the ASF, apply all the patches to the village tree
that you like to see and then just build a "village-<some
version>.jar" that we can distribute through ibiblio?

This wouldn't be a hard thing to do and though the plans for post-3.2
releases are to get rid of village, this might help our current users
in the short run.

As I already have a village tree that builds with maven, building a
site would be no big deal.

	Regards
		Henning

		      4 - 8 - 15 - 16 - 23 - 42