db-torque-user mailing list archives

From Thomas Fischer <tfisc...@apache.org>
Subject Re: (frustrated torque first timer) Please update the Tutorial
Date Wed, 06 Jul 2005 19:25:12 GMT
Hi,

We do have a problem with documentation in Toque, I agree to that. In my
opinion, however, the tutorial is not the problem (although there might be
a few unclear points). The real problem is the very patchy users guide.

I remember I have tried to follow the tutorial when Torque 3.1.1 was
released, and I did not have a problem to get the sample application
running, when I followed exactly the steps outlined in the tutorial. The
problems uually arise when one plays around a bit (to learn more about the
framework), and one inserts some errors which are not easy to notice.

However, when I tried to follow the tutorial, I did not start from the
very beginning, which made things easier. I remember it was a hassle
setting up maven, and maybe I already had the driver at the right place.

When releasing Torque 3.1.1, the tutorial was improved very much from the
3.1 version. I still remember the wekly posts on the mailing lists about
the errors in the tutorial; they have reduced to about two posts in half a
year after 3.1.1. From that I conclude that the tutorial is quite ok now.

Yong, thanks for noting some of the weak points in the tutorial. I will
look at the point you critisize and see how it can be improved. There is
just one thing I can answer without some research: the postgresql
create-db task is not working in all circumstances (no idea whether it
works in any circumstances at all), but creating the db manually is fine.
In some databases (e.g. oracle) Torque does not even try to create the db.
I will add a remark on that.

Brent, I appreciate very much you willing to rewrite the tutorial. But
(as you might have noticed) I am of the opinion that the Tutorial as it is
now is far too good to be simply thrown away. However, if you have ideas
of particular points that can be improved, I'll be glad to hear them.

Bill, some plans exist to release Torque 3.2 in the not-so-far future. It
will contain the ant build scripts again as an alternative to maven.
However, I am unsure whether this should be put into the tutorial at all.
Maybe there should be two tutorials, one for ant and one for maven. But
this is not thought to the end yet.

All I have written here is my own personal opinion, I hope nobody feels
offended. If you disagre with me, I'd be happy to hear about it on the
users mailing list.

        Thomas