db-torque-user mailing list archives

From Thomas Fischer <fisc...@seitenbau.net>
Subject Re: Example problem
Date Wed, 25 May 2005 07:04:05 GMT

Carl Ludewig <carl@cjsoftware.net> schrieb am 24.05.2005 17:07:00:

> As for the portability vs. flexibility question, my general
> impression is that one can use the the id broker for maximum
> portability, but choosing the "native" id method should make the best
> use of inherent db features.

Yes, but what is the "best way" to create ids in postgresql ? Certainly one
which works out of the box, this is why I prefer the method in CVS to the
3.1.1 method. Also, it is the usual way to work with sequences in other
databases that you have to define them yourself, so in my opinion, if this
also works in postgresql this is the way to go. But of course, one wants to
give people access to non-standard features of the database as well, if
this can be done with reasonable effort...

     Thomas