db-torque-user mailing list archives

From "Aaron Loucks" <aar...@GardnerInc.com>
Subject RE: TorqueInstance & non-static initialization Help!
Date Wed, 18 May 2005 12:14:51 GMT

EDIT:
Criteria c = new Criteria(ProductPeer.DATA_BASE_NAME);

From: Aaron Loucks [mailto:aaronl@GardnerInc.com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 17, 2005 5:02 PM
To: Apache Torque Users List
Subject: TorqueInstance & non-static initialization Help!

I'm trying to initialize torque in a non-static way so that I can have
multiple instances (for different databases/functionality) in a single
web application.

I tried initializing a TorqueInstance and pass the database name and
connection to a peer class, without success:

TorqueInstance torqueInstance = new TorqueInstance();
torqueInstance.setConfiguration(config);
torqueInstance.initalize();

Criteria c = ProductPeer.DATABASE_NAME;

List list = ProductPeer.doSelect(c, torqueInstance.getConnection());

java.lang.NullPointerException
	at
org.apache.torque.TorqueInstance.getDB(TorqueInstance.java:772)
	at org.apache.torque.Torque.getDB(Torque.java:299)
	at
org.apache.torque.util.BasePeer.createQuery(BasePeer.java:918)
	at org.apache.torque.util.BasePeer.doSelect(BasePeer.java:1221)
	at
test.torque.BaseProductPeer.doSelectVillageRecords(BaseProductPeer.java:
664)
	at
test.torque.BaseProductPeer.doSelect(BaseProductPeer.java:607)
	at test.torque.Product.lookup(Product.java:318)
	at test.actions.Test1.execute(Test1.java:63)

I looked into the source code a bit, and saw that the static Torque
wrapper creates a new instance of TorqueInstance if the static
torqueSingleton is null. This leads me to believe that what I'm trying
to do isn't possible, but according to the change log, this feature was
implemented long ago:

Release 3.1-BETA1 - 2003-08-19
update  	Introduced the TorqueInstance class to do away with
static initialization woes and allow multiple instances of Torque per
ClassLoader.

Apparently, I'm missing something... Any help would be highly
appreciated.

Aaron Loucks
Web Developer
Gardner, Inc.