db-torque-user mailing list archives

From Matt Hughes <mhu...@uvic.ca>
Subject Re: Example problem
Date Thu, 19 May 2005 21:12:02 GMT
Jakub Piechnik wrote:

> psql:project-schema.sql:5: ERROR:  table "book" does not exist
> psql:project-schema.sql:18: NOTICE:  CREATE TABLE / PRIMARY KEY will create implicit
index "book_pkey" for table "book"
> CREATE TABLE

> I understand errors, because table wasn't in database, so it can not be dropped. But
what is that NOTICE? There are another fileds created?
> After compiling whole programme (Strp 4 in tutorial) when I was trying to perform the
example programme - I counted errors - connected with NOTICE information form executing sql
scripts (generated by Torque). These errors were:

PostgreSQL uses sequences to generate primary key values. Creating a
table with a column defined as a primary key will automatically create
this index. When inserting data into the database, PostgreSQL queries
and increments the sequence so that each record has a unique primary key.

The problem is that the sequence doesn't know or care about any data
that is already in the table. I'm not certain, but I would assume that
the example app puts some data into the tables. It appears that the
sequences do not get updated, so when new data is inserted, the sequence
returns a number which is already used as a primary key.

The solution is to reset the sequence so that the next value returned
will be greater than the primary key values currently in used. You can
do this using a SQL statement like the following:

SELECT setval('book_pkey',
        (SELECT max(publisher_pkey) FROM book));

This resets the value of the sequence 'book_pkey' to the largest
publisher_pkey already in use. When an INSERT is next performed, the
sequence will return that value + 1.

> org.apache.torque.TorqueException: org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: ERROR: duplicate
key violates unique constraint "publisher_pkey"
>         at org.apache.torque.util.BasePeer.throwTorqueException(BasePeer.java:200)
>         at org.apache.torque.util.BasePeer.insertOrUpdateRecord(BasePeer.java:867)
>         at org.apache.torque.util.BasePeer.doInsert(BasePeer.java:706)
>         at com.kazmier.om.BasePublisherPeer.doInsert(Unknown Source)
>         at com.kazmier.om.BasePublisherPeer.doInsert(Unknown Source)
>         at com.kazmier.om.BasePublisher.save(Unknown Source)
>         at com.kazmier.om.BasePublisher.save(Unknown Source)
>         at com.kazmier.om.BasePublisher.save(Unknown Source)
>         at com.kazmier.Bookstore.main(Unknown Source)
> Caused by: org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: ERROR: duplicate key violates unique constraint
"publisher_pkey"
>         at org.postgresql.core.v3.QueryExecutorImpl.receiveErrorResponse(QueryExecutorImpl.java:1471)
>         at org.postgresql.core.v3.QueryExecutorImpl.processResults(QueryExecutorImpl.java:1256)
>         at org.postgresql.core.v3.QueryExecutorImpl.execute(QueryExecutorImpl.java:175)
>         at org.postgresql.jdbc2.AbstractJdbc2Statement.execute(AbstractJdbc2Statement.java:389)
>         at org.postgresql.jdbc2.AbstractJdbc2Statement.executeWithFlags(AbstractJdbc2Statement.java:330)
>         at org.postgresql.jdbc2.AbstractJdbc2Statement.executeUpdate(AbstractJdbc2Statement.java:282)
>         at com.workingdogs.village.Record.saveWithInsert(Unknown Source)
>         at com.workingdogs.village.Record.save(Unknown Source)
>         at com.workingdogs.village.Record.save(Unknown Source)
>         at org.apache.torque.util.BasePeer.insertOrUpdateRecord(BasePeer.java:863)
>         ... 7 more
>
> It occured when I was trying to make firs save() after creating new author. (line 24
in code).

> I have no idea what is wrong and how could I solve it out. i would be grateful for any
help

Hopefully that helps.

--
 Matt Hughes