db-torque-user mailing list archives

From "Brandon" <eff4...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: generator with ant
Date Fri, 15 Apr 2005 00:04:27 GMT
So if you're going to be using Ant then I would highly suggest using Eclipse
to do this.  You should be able to get everything up and running by putting
things into a Java project (copy the jars into a lib directory), and then
adding the necessary jars to the build path (in the Java perspective, right
click and I think source -> add to build path).  Put your build.xml and
properties files in the top level directory of that project.  You should
then be able to right click on the build.xml file, go to run, and select the
second ant build option.  This should open a window that allows you to
select which target(s) you wish to execute.  This way you don't have to edit
the build.xml.  Just check the tasks you wish to run.  I'll try and send you
an email with more directions later tonight or tomorrow morning.  You can
read up on which targets do what at http://db.apache.org/torque/generator/
though from your previous email it looks like you'll be interested in only
the sql, create-db, datadump, and jdbc tasks.

The dtd stuff sounds like it's not connecting to the sites it should be.
Maybe the internet connection is bad or something?  I think most of them
connect to some site where the DTD resides, and that DTD helps to define the
elements in the XML file.

To answer your questions, Torque is not supported by anyone in the way that
Windows is for example.  It's supported by people that want to give back to
the open source community.  I totally agree with you that the documentation
is marginal at best, but I haven't had the time to help with that.  I'd like
to write up a better how-to, especially one for Eclipse.  If you care to
help me with that, see my comments in the last paragraph.  Torque is still
being developed and there's always someone submitted new features or fixing
bugs.  To answer your question whether or not you should be using
Hibernate...I don't know.  I've looked at Hibernate and it looks more
powerful than Torque, but also looks more complex.  I don't have any
experience using it myself though.  Torque certainly has a learning curve,
but once you've got it set up, it's really neat and really useful if you're
doing any Java development requiring some JDBC connections to modify data.

I think the thing that would be of most value would be if/when you get
Torque working, to post on here or somewhere the major pain points you had.
What was most unclear and difficult, and then hopefully someone can write
better documentation so that others don't have the same issues in the
future.  Believe me I was frustrated before I got it working, and I have a
feeling that I'm going to be again when I try to get a how-to together.  I
feel your pain.

-Brandon