db-torque-user mailing list archives

From "Damien Corbishley" <Damien.Corbish...@uk.intervoice.com>
Subject RE: connection recovery
Date Wed, 20 Apr 2005 07:45:14 GMT
Use the resilient data source in torque.properties instead of the
classic datasource, and then set your validation query.

Note: The example validation query SELECT 1 may not be enough, we found
that on database startup (Sybase) if a connection attempt was made the
SELECT 1 would pass but the actual database hadn't been fully recovered
- this then gave us duff connections - so we changed our SELECT 1 to
SELECT from a single column table with only ever one entry. This seems
to do fine for us.

Damien
-----Original Message-----
From: Jinsong Hu [mailto:jinsong_hu@hotmail.com]
Sent: 20 April 2005 06:41
To: torque-user@db.apache.org
Subject: connection recovery

Hi, There,
  I have been using torque in our project.I am trying to get this to
work:

1. use Torque.init();
2. use the torque connections for various tasks.
3. shutdown the database manually. at this stage, no connection can be
used.
4. start database manually, and in the java code, try to use db
connection again.

what happens is that for oracle database, in step 4, the connection will
work, and I
can continue to select/insert data without special effort.

but if the database is ms sql, then the connections will always fail,
saying broken pipe.

I have to restart my application to get connection work again.

I wonder if in torque there is a method to ask the torque to
re-establish db connection.
it looks trying shutdown() then init() doesn't do the trick.

I am using torque 3.1

Jinsong

This e-mail transmission may contain information that is proprietary, privileged and/or confidential
and is intended exclusively for the person(s) to whom it is addressed. Any use, copying, retention
or disclosure by any person other than the intended recipient or the intended recipient's
designees is strictly prohibited. If you are the intended recipient, you must treat the information
in confidence and in accordance with all laws related to the privacy and confidentiality of
such information.  If you are not the intended recipient or their designee, please notify
the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete all copies of this email, including all
attachments.