db-torque-user mailing list archives

From Brent Atkins <brent.atk...@pro-sys.biz>
Subject Re: Bad Zip in download area
Date Thu, 21 Apr 2005 17:49:40 GMT
Yes, I use Maven within Eclipse often...

The first plug in you want to use is the Maven Eclipse plug in
http://maven.apache.org/reference/plugins/eclipse/

It has goals that create a .project and .classpath that Eclipse can use.

CodeHaus has a Meventide plug in for Eclipse that works nicely.
http://mevenide.codehaus.org/mevenide-ui-eclipse/features.html

It adds a few features that you might find useful.  It has a Maven
launcher (like the Ant target editor that comes with Eclipse, it
searches the POM and build.xml to give you a list of all available goals
for the project, so it's easier to add goals to your external tools
list).  It also includes a POM editor that works as well as a POM
validator.  It has a Jelly editor for making your own plug ins.  It also
has an autolaunch feature (you have to turn it on) to have a continuous
build feature that Eclipse has for normal projects.  It also has a Maven
repository browser.

So the general path from taking a Maven enabled source code, to actually
working on it in Eclipse is as follows.  Verify you have the Maven
Eclipse plug in and the Meventide Eclipse plug in installed.  Grab the
code from the repository via the CVS perspective.  Surf through the
Maven goals that Meventide lets you see, and run the goal [maven
eclipse] to create the .classpath and .project.  (You may need to then
start eclipse with the -clean option to get Eclipse to recognize the new
files).

Finally you have a working system that you can use.  Add new Maven goals
to your project using the POM browser and turn on the auto build feature
if you want.

There is one problem that I have been unable to fix though.  Running the
javadoc goal through Eclipse still gives me an error.  The javadoc
command generated by Maven (with all of the classpath info) is too long
to fit inside the Eclipse console.  You can run it in a command line
with no problem, but I've yet to find a good setup for Eclipse that
solves this issue.  Even when using the maven.javadoc.useexternalfile
property.  (Any ideas?)

If you have any trouble with Meventide, I can say that Bob McWhirter
(CodeHaus founder) is a really nice guy.  I met him at ApacheCon 2004,
and he is a great resource.  CodeHaus has alot of community support and
I'm sure would love to hear other ideas for their plugin.

Let me know if you have any other questions...