db-torque-user mailing list archives

From "Brandon" <eff4...@hotmail.com>
Subject Peer Class and associated fun
Date Wed, 23 Feb 2005 19:27:28 GMT
In order to simply the Torque programming model even further, I am trying to
create CRUD methods for a database that will essentially do the stuff that
I'm requesting for me.  That way instead of writing all of this stuff for a
retrieve everytime, I just call a generic method retrieve() and it returns
what I wanted to select on from the database.  So I've noticed that all of
my auto-generated databases implement this interface called Persistent.
This is essentially the way I see things going right now:

retrieve (Persistent p)
{
    retrieve (p, null);
}

retrieve (Persistent p, Map m)
{
    // create a criteria here
    // if m != null then go through a for loop that iterates through the map
and adds to
    // the criteria object
    return ((BaseObject)p).getPeer.doSelect(criteria);
}

This seems to simplify things a bit, but I think that passing in a String
rather than a Persistent makes much more sense.  It just seems akward to
program this way.  Using the example database the tutorial provides, in
order to perform a statement equivalent to "select * from book;" one would
have to pass in a new Book object to retrieve.  Essentially the call would
look like "List bookList = retrieve(new Book());" and I think it makes much
more sense to do something like "List bookList = retrieve("Book");".  Does
anyone know how I could accomplish something like this or am I stuck passing
in a new Book object?

-Brandon