db-torque-user mailing list archives

From Michael.Kashamb...@bmwna.com
Subject RE: [BULK] torque and spring
Date Mon, 31 Jan 2005 23:28:37 GMT
Johan-

I had to write an Abstract DAO that all my TorqueDAOs extend.

This abstract DAO provides the following functionality for getting and
releasing connections.

----------------

import org.springframework.jdbc.CannotGetJdbcConnectionException;
import org.springframework.jdbc.datasource.DataSourceUtils;

	/**
	 * Gets a connection
	 *
	 * @return Connection
	 */
	protected Connection getConnection()
	{
		try
		{
			DataSource dataSource = (DataSource) Registry
					.get("dataSource");

			Connection conn =
DataSourceUtils.getConnection(dataSource);

			logger.debug("Got connection from pool");

			return conn;
		}
		catch (CannotGetJdbcConnectionException e)
		{
			throw new SystemException(e);
		}
	}

	/**
	 * Releases a connection
	 *
	 * @return Connection
	 */
	protected void releaseConnection(Connection conn)
	{
		try
		{
			DataSource dataSource = (DataSource) Registry
					.get("dataSource");

			DataSourceUtils.closeConnectionIfNecessary(conn,
dataSource);

			logger.debug("Releasing connection back to pool");
		}
		catch (CannotGetJdbcConnectionException e)
		{
			throw new SystemException(e);
		}
	}
-----

You can then use the connection to call methods on your Peer classes in
order for Torque to participate in Spring-managed transactions.

This abstract DAO will also be responsible for handling Torque exceptions
via template methods for your CRUD operations.

For example,

--------

	protected final Collection find(Criteria criteria)
	{
		Connection conn = null;
		Collection results = null;

		try
		{
			conn = getConnection();
			results = basicFind(criteria, conn);
		}
		finally
		{
			releaseConnection(conn);
		}

		return results;
	}

	/**
	 * Generic method for selecting table data based on freeform
criteria
	 *
	 * @param criteria
	 *            Criteria
	 * @param conn
	 *            Connection
	 * @return Collection of appropriate domain object items
	 */
	public abstract Collection basicFind(Criteria criteria, Connection
conn);

As you can see, all my queries are Criteria driven and the actual
implementation is provided for in my derived class.

Michael