db-torque-user mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <...@intermeta.de>
Subject Re: Torque using Tomcat
Date Fri, 17 Dec 2004 09:32:43 GMT
"M. Sean Gilligan" <Sean_Gilligan@catalla.com> writes:

>>"M. Sean Gilligan" <Sean_Gilligan@catalla.com> writes:
>>
>>>I'm using Torque 3.1.1 with Tomcat 5.0.28 and MySQL.  In a Tomcat context.xml
file I've defined a JNDI DataSource and in torque.prorperties the JndiDataSourceFactory factory
is being used.  The webapp works fine until the webapp is realoaded.  The first database access
after a reload gives this stack trace:
>>
>>I remember this from a dim and distant past. It was some serialization
>>issue. Can you please look into your catalina.out and maybe look into the
>>list archives?

>Hi Henning.

>Thanks for your response.

>What do you mean by a "serialization issue"?

Your container probably tries to save the existing session on a
restart (because reloading your webapp is nothing but a restart of
your application) and falls over its feets. When it comes up again,
its session information is incomplete and you get strange errors.

Try the following thing. I assume now, that you use Tomcat5:

- open your tomcat/conf/server.xml file

- look for the <Context> element for your application. 

- if you don't have one, you must create one. The result should look like
  this:

<Context path="/your-app-here" reloadable="true">
   <Manager className="org.apache.catalina.session.StandardManager"
            distributable="false" pathname="" />
</Context>

Important is the 'pathname=""'

Stop Tomcat. Nuke the contents of the work/ and the temp/
directory. Start again. See if the problem vanishes. If yes, you have
a serialization issue with Torque.

	Regards
		Henning


>I looked through the list archives (in a Eudora folder) very carefully (back to Oct 2002,
when I started lurking) and found may issues involving the same error message, but most of
them involved configuration issues.  (Everything works for me unless I reload the webapp.)

>Didn't find anything other than the NullPointerException (java.lang.NullPointerException:
There was no DataSourceFactory configured for the connection my_om) in the  logs, either.

>I had originally defined the DataSource in the Tomcat <Context>.  Last night I tried
in the <GlobalNamingResources> section and got the same error.

>I'll try to put together a simplified test case if you think that it is worthwhile.

>Thanks, again.

>Sean


>-- 
>---------------------------------------------------------------------------
>M. Sean Gilligan                    : 831-466-9788 x11
>Catalla Systems, Inc.               : http://www.vblogcentral.com
>---------------------------------------------------------------------------

>---------------------------------------------------------------------
>To unsubscribe, e-mail: torque-user-unsubscribe@db.apache.org
>For additional commands, e-mail: torque-user-help@db.apache.org

-- 
Dipl.-Inf. (Univ.) Henning P. Schmiedehausen          INTERMETA GmbH
hps@intermeta.de        +49 9131 50 654 0   http://www.intermeta.de/

RedHat Certified Engineer -- Jakarta Turbine Development  -- hero for hire
   Linux, Java, perl, Solaris -- Consulting, Training, Development

What is more important to you...
   [ ] Product Security
or [ ] Quality of Sales and Marketing Support
              -- actual question from a Microsoft customer survey

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: torque-user-unsubscribe@db.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: torque-user-help@db.apache.org


Mime
View raw message